Beauty may be costly, but it doesn't have to be. You can employ a myriad of tips and tricks that I have also used when saving money and some I still use. Most, if not all, of these inexpensive beauty hacks, are either free or cost very little!
1. Use Baby Oil as a makeup remover: If you wear makeup, you can remove it with Baby Oil. You might never switch since it works rather well and is super budget-friendly.
2. DIY organic facemask: If you do not like putting a plethora of chemicals on your face, then this hack will save your life. Mix fresh fruits, vegetables, honey, oils, coffee grounds, sugar and more for your mask and put it on your face for 15 to 20 minutes. Then rinse with lukewarm water for a fresh glow on your face. Different ingredients can do different things for your skin. Be sure to do your research to see which ingredients will help you meet your skin goals.
3. Drugstore products suffice: You don't always have to be using high-end beauty products for a long-lasting makeup look. Most drugstore products, work almost the same and can save you tons of money. Drugstores such as Walgreens have given more access to good beauty products. Best drugstore makeup include: NYX and E.L.F.
4. Make Drugstore foundation look high-end: There are a number of ways that you can make your inexpensive foundation look flawless on your skin. On a clean face, you can use witch hazel as a toner, be sure to moisturize, use one primer (such as NYX The Marsh Mellow Primer). Let that set for a few minutes, apply light amount of foundation, then lightly apply translucent powder primarily under the eyes. Want to turn your foundation into tinted moisturizer (light coverage)? add moisturizer to your foundation and mix well (works well especially if your moisturizer is lightweight).
5. Basic DIY body scrub: Here’s how you can make yourself an organic DIY body scrub; take coffee grounds, or sugar, 1-2 drops of essential oil for scent if you prefer, and then pour the required amount of olive oil or baby oil over it. Mix well, and voila! your body scrub is ready.
6. Use lipstick as blush and eyeshadow:
It has been a practice for centuries, for women to use lipsticks on their cheeks and a little bit on the eyes. You can just use the lipstick as both and be on your way.
7. Do your own manicure and pedicure: Manicures and pedicures can add up to a lot if you are trying to save money. You could do both at home by using a few items that are available at your home. These items include: oils, lotions, hand cream, nail file, and nail paints. You can look put together all the time without spending much money. Other items that you can purchase for a good mani/ pedi: cuticle trimmer and buffing block.
8. Less is more: When it comes to skincare, less is more. You don’t need hundreds of products. All you need is a moisturizer (bonus if it includes SPF), witch hazel, and a cleanser to keep your skin clear.
9. Make your own lash serum: Save your pennies and apply castor, coconut oil, and opened vitamin E capsules. Mix well, and apply to your lashes with a spoolie to help with growth.
10. Best low cost mascaras: Maybelline Great Lash and Essence Lash Princess - both are on average about $5 each and do an excellent job.
I Hope that these tips and tricks will be helpful to you. Remember to practice self care whenever you can, especially in these stressful times!
Much love to all of you, my Crit-Beauties!
Link to order: https://www.cursedd20beauty.com/store/p2/spell-sparkle-glitter-gel.html#/
In my makeup collection I have many different brands of glitter gel makeup from loved companies such as Colourpop , Tattoo Junkee, and others. I LOVE using glitter. I feel like it is, fun, uplifting, and brings cheer. One thing that I noticed is that there are not that many glitter options where the glitter is a little more on the subtle and finer side. All of the glitter that I own in way of makeup, is always more on the chunky side. Also most times, hard to remove. So I figured I wanted to try and make something that is good for those who love the "less is more" approach and those who want the option of something a bit more fine grade. Alas! here is Spell Sparkle Glitter Gel in colors "Crit" (Red), "Paladin" (Bright Gold), and "Initiative" (Bright Silver).
Made with Aloe Vera and Vitamin E which also makes it great for skin.
In the photo above (top right), I was wearing the color "Paladin" which is a bright gold all over the face. Other makeup worn in my photo: Red Rum Cosmetics brow fix gel in "All Over Brow Fix", Nars Powermatte lip pigment in "Starwoman", and Nabla Cosmetics Vicious Mascara in black.
On top left and bottom, is the beautiful Debbie Gomez (follow on Instagram: @my_looks_dmgn) who is wearing 2 holiday looks using the color "Initiative" for that Holiday sparkle on the eyes and as a lip stick topper. The formula is lightweight and comfortable. It also easily cleans off which people who tried it have been loving. This product can be worn all over the face and body and/ or as a topper over eyeshadow, lip gloss, lipstick, and more. There will be more sample photos coming soon on the product page. Be sure to watch for those.
There I was watching Netflix in the background while working, when I noticed a new Docuseries called "Broken". I LOVE documentaries and docuseries shows, so I was intrigued. First episode was about counterfeit cosmetics. If you have not seen this episode and you are a beauty enthusiast, you should.
With my clients, co-models, and students, I have always shared awareness about purchasing "knock-off" products. You never know what ingredients and chemicals are in them and how your skin might react. There are also high risks of infections and injuries that can permanently damage your skin, cause disfigurement, infertility, and other medical conditions.
Since the official beginning of the beauty industry, it has always been successful. People have been wearing makeup for thousands of years. In the beginning, it was used for special occasions, ceremonies, and status. People want to look good, people like to feel good, people like to feel empowered, people love to be creative, and have fun. Makeup has given people of all genders the ability to do and have those things. The makeup industry has become a huge multi-billion dollar industry and will continue to grow. Aside from counterfeit cosmetics, one thing that has also become a big business has been "dupes". Dupes are a less expensive/imitation alternative to the high end brands. Just to be clear, there are perfectly safe companies who create dupes or similar products that very closely resemble much loved designer products such as Chanel, Tom Ford, and Dior. There are people who simply cannot afford $25 for a lipstick or $85 for an eye shadow palette or foundation. Therefore, these companies create products with the thought in mind that they just want to put out a more affordable product. Which is perfectly fine. The budget conscious has just as much a right to look and feel good as anyone else. As long as the dupe creating company uses at least some different variation of ingredients and does not give the colors and themes the same name, there is no law that says a company cannot have the same raw umber colored eye shadow as Chanel. Creating an imitation of an item, is not a violation of intellectual property laws. Creating a product with subpar or dangerous ingredients and posing it as the "real deal" is illegal and dangerous.
Counterfeit makeup is created by companies who manufacture cosmetics in clandestine facilities. They manufacture makeup with dangerous chemicals such as urine, industrial chemicals that are used in construction, arsenic, beryllium, lead, and other dangerous chemicals. Most of the companies that sell counterfeit products are sold online on sites such as Wish.com. or some street vendors (not all). There are trusted sources and independent sellers to purchase products from, but at the end of the day it is up to the consumer to be educated. If you are unsure about the selling source, then your safest bet is to buy direct from the company website or from third party reputable sellers such as Sephora or Ulta.
Stay safe Crit-Beauties!